Kate wanted to be a cat or a horse when she grew up. Alas, neither of these miraculous transformations came to pass, so instead she wrote stories about them. Almost immediately, the horses became unicorns and the cats sprouted wings and developed storm powers. It happens, right?
Then came the Lord of the Rings movies! She started writing LOTR fanfiction, sewing shirts with giant sleeves, and wearing her hair elf-style. Really, it’s a miracle her parents let her out of the house at all. (As you can see from the author photo, not a lot has changed.)
Kate spent her early LOTR phase wanting to be an elf, and it was a long time before she accepted and then embraced that she’s actually a hobbit (with a side of beach obsession; thank you, Michigan). Now she writes adult fantasy full of flying stingrays and squirrel-dragons, courage and hope, and powerful friendships. Most importantly, she writes about loving yourself as you are—but also loving yourself enough that you dare to be more.
- Kate is the keeper of the family Chex Mix recipe, having inherited this prestigious role from her dad (who inherited it from his mom).
- She has strabismus, which means she can only focus one eye at a time.
- She has a mild obsession with manul cats and lynxes.
- She once wore an Elizabethan-style riding hat to a graduate Latin seminar.
- She actually likes The Phantom Menace.
- She is neither an early bird nor a night owl. Sleep in, go to bed early!
- Her favorite movies include A Few Good Men and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.
- She love boots. A lot.
- Also bubble tea.
- And chocolate.
- She’s Catholic and owns WAY too many rosaries.
- Just kidding; you can never own too many rosaries.
- She used the same flip phone from 2007 until its tragic death in 2022.
- She is a (mostly) retired cosplayer and a not-retired seamstress. Ask her about her fabric collection.
- She has a PhD in Classical Studies, which will come in handy when aliens finally make contact and it turns out they speak Latin.